Interac...

首頁

Ivy’s Journal-2

翻譯顯示: 關閉
加載中...

加載內容中,請稍候...

Sep 30
9月30日
[24] At dinner, Daddy told us that he had been asking our neighbors what they know about living and working in places like California.
晚餐時,爸爸告訴我們,他一直在向鄰居打聽他們對在加州這樣的地方生活和工作的了解。
He found out that last year President Franklin Roosevelt signed a special order.
他得知去年富蘭克林·羅斯福總統簽署了一項特別命令。
It said companies that manufacture equipment for the military cannot practice discrimination.
命令指出,為軍隊製造設備的公司不能實行歧視。
That means they can't refuse to hire workers because of their race or ethnicity.
這意味著他們不能因為工人的種族或族群而拒絕雇用他們。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[25] Most factories that make those kinds of products are out west.
大多數生產這類產品的工廠都在西部。
You don't find them here in the South.
你在南方這裡找不到它們。
That's why Uncle Eugene was able to get a factory job in California even though it's impossible for black people to get that kind of work here.
這就是為什麼尤金叔叔能在加州找到工廠的工作,儘管黑人在這裡根本不可能找到那種工作。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[26] I tried to picture what it might be like to live in a place where Negroes have more freedom.
我試著想像生活在一個黑人擁有更多自由的地方會是什麼樣子。
Where people like me could apply for any job they wanted.
一個像我這樣的人可以申請任何他們想要的工作的地方。
Maybe I didn't have to live on small farms all my life.
也許我不必一輩子都住在小農場上。
Maybe one day, I could move somewhere else and do other kinds of work when I grow up.
也許有一天,我長大後可以搬到別的地方,做其他種類的工作。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
Oct 5
10月5日
[27] Harvest time is finally here, and our crop of cotton is ready to be picked.
收穫的時節終於到了,我們的棉花作物已經可以採摘了。
It's Monday, and we should have spent the day in school, but Mary, Buck, and I took today off to help Daddy and Mama on the farm.
今天是星期一,我們本該在學校上課,但瑪麗、巴克和我今天請假去農場幫爸爸媽媽的忙。
We spent all day in the field picking bolls, which are the thick, fluffy parts of cotton plants.
我們整天都在田裡摘棉鈴,也就是棉花植株上厚實、蓬鬆的部分。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[28] We picked for hours and hours until our fingers ached.
我們摘了好幾個小時,直到手指發痛。
But, sadly, we didn't have much to show for it.
但遺憾的是,我們的成果不多。
Boll weevils had attacked our crop.
棉鈴象鼻蟲襲擊了我們的作物。
These tiny bugs are pests that lay eggs in cotton plants.
這些小蟲子是害蟲,會在棉花植株裡產卵。
When the young insects hatch, they eat parts of the plant.
當幼蟲孵化後,它們會吃掉植物的部分。
Boll weevils are a problem every year.
棉鈴象鼻蟲每年都是個問題。
But this time, there were so many that most of the crop was ruined!
但這次,數量多到把大部分作物都毀了!
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[29] At the end of the day as we walked back to the house, I saw Daddy give Mama a look.
一天結束,我們走回家時,我看到爸爸看了媽媽一眼。
I knew they were thinking about all of the money that we owe Mr. Greenfield, and I knew we have no way to pay it.
我知道他們在想我們欠格林菲爾德先生的所有錢,而且我知道我們無力償還。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
OCT 10
10月10日
[30] Tonight, as we sat down to dinner, I got the surprise of my life—we're moving!
今晚,當我們坐下來吃晚餐時,我得到了一個天大的驚喜——我們要搬家了!
Daddy and Mama told us that we're leaving Mississippi and going to live in Los Angeles, California.
爸爸媽媽告訴我們,我們要離開密西西比,去加利福尼亞州的洛杉磯生活。
Daddy wrote Uncle Eugene for his help finding work.
爸爸寫信給尤金叔叔請他幫忙找工作。
We're going to sell our furniture and other things to pay some of the money we owe Mr. Greenfield—and to buy tickets for the long train trip out west.
我們要賣掉傢俱和其他東西,來償還我們欠格林菲爾德先生的部分債務——並且購買長途火車票去西部。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[31] Daddy says we'll be able to live a better life in California, partly because factory workers there make much more money than sharecroppers do here.
爸爸說我們在加州將能過上更好的生活,部分原因是那裡的工廠工人賺的錢比這裡的佃農多得多。
Also, Mama says there are no Jim Crow laws in California, so we'll have so much more freedom.
而且,媽媽說加州沒有吉姆·克勞法,所以我們將會有更多的自由。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[32] I don't want to leave Eve and my other friends, though, because I may never see them again!
然而,我不想離開伊芙和我的其他朋友,因為我可能再也見不到他們了!
Also, I have only ever lived in Mississippi; I've never even visited another state.
另外,我只在密西西比住過;我甚至從未去過其他州。
What if I hate California?
萬一我討厭加州怎麼辦?
What if no one likes me and I can't make any friends?
萬一沒人喜歡我,我交不到任何朋友怎麼辦?
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[33] This morning, I stood with my family on the platform of the railroad station near our town.
今天早上,我和家人站在我們鎮附近火車站的月台上。
I had a train ticket tucked inside my journal, which I clutched tightly in my arm.
我把火車票夾在我的日記本裡,並緊緊地抱在胸前。
I didn't want to take any chance that the ticket might slip through my fingers because we didn't have enough money to buy another one.
我不想冒任何車票可能從我手中滑落的風險,因為我們沒有足夠的錢再買一張。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[34] Daddy, Mama, Mary, and Buck had their tickets, too, and we each had a small bag for our clothes and a few remaining belongings.
爸爸、媽媽、瑪麗和巴克也都有他們的車票,我們每人還有一個裝衣服和少數剩餘物品的小袋子。
We had sold most of what we owned, and it was strange to think that everything we had in the world now was what fit into those five bags.
我們賣掉了大部分的家當,想到我們在世上所擁有的一切現在就只裝在這五個袋子裡,感覺很奇怪。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[35] When a whistle sounded, I could see a train approaching the station.
當汽笛聲響起,我看到一列火車正駛近車站。
It blew a thick column of smoke as it rolled down the track, closer and closer to us.
它沿著鐵軌行駛時噴出濃濃的煙柱,離我們越來越近。
Other passengers began to crowd around.
其他乘客開始圍攏過來。
The train slowed to a stop, the doors opened, and we all climbed on board.
火車減速停下,門開了,我們都爬上了車。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[36] Negro passengers had to sit in the Jim Crow car.
黑人乘客必須坐在吉姆·克勞車廂裡。
It was separate from the rest of the train, where white passengers sat.
這個車廂與火車的其他部分是分開的,白人乘客坐在那裡。
We couldn't leave that one car, not even to go to the dining car to get a meal.
我們不能離開那個車廂,甚至不能去餐車吃飯。
Lucky for us, Mama had thought to pack food in brown paper bags for us to eat along the way.
幸運的是,媽媽想到用棕色紙袋給我們打包了食物,讓我們在路上吃。
As the whistle sounded again, the train slowly pulled out of the station, and we were on our way to California!
當汽笛再次響起,火車緩緩駛離車站,我們踏上了前往加州的路途!
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
Oct 22
10月22日
[37] I'm trying to write, but the seats of the train are shaking as we speed down the track, so I'll keep this short.
我想寫點東西,但火車在鐵軌上飛馳,座位搖晃不已,所以我長話短說。
At New Orleans, we switched trains to board the Southern Pacific Railroad.
在紐奧良,我們換乘了南太平洋鐵路的火車。
We still have a long way to go, and it will take us a few more days to reach Los Angeles.
我們還有很長的路要走,還需要幾天才能到達洛杉磯。
Daddy says the entire trip is more than 2,000 miles!
爸爸說整個旅程超過2000英里!
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[38] Looking out the window, I watch the countryside go by and see farm field after farm field.
我望著窗外,看著鄉村景色掠過,看到一片又一片的農田。
It reminds me of everything that we are leaving behind.
這讓我想起了我們留下的一切。
I wonder what we will see when we arrive in California.
我想知道當我們到達加州時會看到什麼。
We're from a tiny town in Mississippi, one with only a thousand people.
我們來自密西西比的一個小鎮,一個只有一千人的小鎮。
But there are millions of people living in Los Angeles!
但是有數百萬人住在洛杉磯!
Will such a big city ever feel like home?
這樣一個大城市會讓人感覺像家嗎?
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
Oct 25
10月25日
[39] We arrived in Los Angeles this morning.
我們今天早上到達了洛杉磯。
As I stepped off the train, the first thing I noticed was the air.
當我走下火車時,我首先注意到的是空氣。
Mississippi is still hot this time of year.
每年的這個時候密西西比仍然很熱。
California is warm as well, but the air is not as thick and heavy as it is in the South.
加州也很暖和,但空氣不像南方那樣厚重悶熱。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[40] We took a bus from the station to Uncle Eugene's apartment building.
我們從車站坐公車去尤金叔叔的公寓大樓。
Los Angeles looks really different from Mississippi.
洛杉磯看起來和密西西比真的很不一樣。
This is a big city with houses, offices, and other buildings spread out all over.
這是一個大城市,房屋、辦公室和其他建築遍布各處。
Palm trees line the streets—I'd never seen a palm tree before—and the roads are packed with cars, buses, and trucks.
街道兩旁排列著棕櫚樹——我以前從未見過棕櫚樹——道路上擠滿了汽車、公車和卡車。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[41] Sitting on the bus, I wanted to cover my ears to block out all of the noise from the cars, buses, trucks, and their horns.
坐在公車上,我想摀住耳朵以阻擋所有來自汽車、公車、卡車和它們喇叭的噪音。
It was so different from the quiet fields and dirt roads that I know from home.
這與我家鄉那安靜的田野和泥土路是如此不同。
I sighed, realizing that getting used to this new place will take a while.
我嘆了口氣,意識到要習慣這個新地方需要一段時間。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
Nov 2
11月2日
[42] Uncle Eugene helped Daddy and Mama both find jobs at the airplane factory, and they started today.
尤金叔叔幫爸爸和媽媽都在飛機工廠找到了工作,他們今天開始上班了。
They're working on assembly lines putting plane engines together, one part at a time.
他們在組裝線上工作,一次一個零件地組裝飛機引擎。
Mama told us that they would be making a lot more money than they did as sharecroppers.
媽媽告訴我們,他們賺的錢會比當佃農時多得多。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[43] Uncle Eugene has been so good to us.
尤金叔叔對我們真好。
He's letting us stay in his apartment and has been helping us look for a place of our own.
他讓我們住在他的公寓裡,還一直在幫我們找我們自己的住處。
Mama and Daddy think they found a place in an apartment building not far from where we are now.
媽媽和爸爸覺得他們在離我們現在住處不遠的一棟公寓大樓裡找到了一個地方。
As soon as they pay the first month's rent and sign some papers, we'll be packing our things and moving in.
只要他們付了第一個月的租金並簽一些文件,我們就會打包東西搬進去。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
Nov 9
11月9日
[44] Today was the first day at my new school, and it is such a big change from Mississippi!
今天是我新學校的第一天,這和密西西比相比真是個巨大的變化!
This elementary school is integrated, which means that white and black children attend together.
這所小學是種族融合的,這意味著白人和黑人孩子一起上學。
We sit in the same classrooms, side by side, and no one thinks anything of it.
我們坐在同一間教室裡,肩並肩坐著,沒有人覺得這有什麼特別。
I sit next to a white girl named Sally who reminds me a little of Eve.
我坐在一個名叫莎莉的白人女孩旁邊,她讓我有點想起伊芙。
They both wear their hair in braided pigtails, just like me.
她們都梳著辮子,就像我一樣。
I hope as Sally and I get to know each other, we can become friends, too.
我希望隨著莎莉和我彼此了解,我們也能成為朋友。
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[45] One great thing about my new school is that I have my own textbooks now, and I don't have to share with anyone.
我的新學校有一個很棒的優點是,我現在有自己的課本,不需要和任何人共用。
No more walking to and from school either.
也不再需要走路上下學了。
I take a bus now, and it's just a short ride.
我現在坐公車,而且只是一小段路。
The next time it rains, I won't have to worry about getting soaked on the way home!
下次下雨時,我就不用擔心在回家的路上淋成落湯雞了!
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
[46] I'm also getting used to the noise from the busy city streets.
我也開始習慣繁忙城市街道的噪音了。
It doesn't bother me so much anymore, and California is beginning to feel like home.
它不再那麼困擾我了,加州開始有家的感覺了
文章導讀 跟讀練習 單字解析 停止播放
加載單字中...
跟讀模式
顯示翻譯