加載中...
加載內容中,請稍候...
MAY 02
5月2日
[1] [1] Today is my twelfth birthday.
[1] 今天是我十二歲的生日。
When Mama called me for dinner, I found a present waiting for me at the table.
當媽媽叫我吃晚餐時,我發現桌上有一份禮物在等著我。
It was wrapped in old newspaper, and I wondered what it could be.
它被舊報紙包裹著,我好奇裡面可能是什麼。
Mama, Daddy, my fifteen-year-old sister Mary, and my nine-year-old brother Buck sang "Happy Birthday," then urged me to open my gift.
媽媽、爸爸、我十五歲的姐姐瑪麗和九歲的弟弟巴克唱了"生日快樂歌",然後催促我打開禮物。
I tore off the newspaper to find this very journal that I'm writing in now!
我撕開報紙,發現了正是我現在在寫的這本日記!
加載單字中...
[2] [2] I was surprised to get a present at all because Daddy had told us not to expect anything for our birthdays this year.
[2] 我很驚訝竟然能收到禮物,因為爸爸告訴我們今年生日不要期待任何禮物。
Our farm is struggling, and money is tight.
我們的農場經營困難,而且錢很緊。
I don't know how my parents found a way to buy the journal, but I'm so grateful that they did!
我不知道父母是如何想辦法買到這本日記的,但我非常感激他們這麼做!
加載單字中...
[3] [3] After we ate, I went to the room I share with my sister and brother.
[3] 我們吃完飯後,我走進了我和姐姐、弟弟共用的房間。
I opened the journal and wrote my name on the inside cover: Ivy Mitchell.
我打開日記本,在扉頁上寫下了我的名字:艾薇·米切爾。
Below that, I added the year: 1942.
在名字下面,我加上了年份:1942。
加載單字中...
[4] [4] Then I pulled out an old shoebox I keep under my bed.
[4] 然後我拿出一個藏在床底下的舊鞋盒。
It holds all the things I love most in the world: a bright, white pebble, a dried red rose pressed flat, and an old-fashioned hair comb.
裡面裝著我在這個世界上最愛的東西:一顆明亮的白色鵝卵石、一朵壓平了的乾燥紅玫瑰,和一把老式的梳子。
Beside them was a photograph of me in front of the schoolhouse.
在它們旁邊是一張我在校舍前的照片。
For a moment, I stared at the black-and-white image of a brown-skinned girl with braids in pigtails.
有那麼一刻,我凝視著照片中那個棕色皮膚、梳著辮子的小女孩的黑白影像。
Then I put some glue on the back of the photo and pressed it inside the journal, below my name.
然後我在照片背面塗了些膠水,把它貼在日記本裡名字的下方。
"There," I said to myself, "that's a good start."
「好了,」我對自己說,「這是個好的開始。」
加載單字中...
MAY 11
5月11日
[5] [5] Today is the first day of planting season.
[5] 今天是播種季節的第一天。
My family has a small farm in Mississippi, and I spent the day with my parents and siblings plowing the field and planting cotton seeds.
我家在密西西比州有個小農場,我今天和父母及兄弟姐妹們一起犁田和播種棉花。
By October, the plants will have bloomed and the cotton will be ready to harvest.
到了十月,棉花將會開花,並準備好收成。
加載單字中...
[6] [6] We all help out on our farm, even Buck.
[6] 我們都在農場上幫忙,連巴克也是。
Days like today, we have to skip school to plant seeds or pick cotton.
像今天這樣的日子,我們必須翹課去播種或摘棉花。
I don't like skipping school, because if I miss too many classes, it's hard to keep up.
我不喜歡翹課,因為如果缺課太多,會很難跟上進度。
But I don't have a choice, because there's no one to work on the farm but us.
但我別無選擇,因為農場上除了我們之外沒有別人可以工作。
加載單字中...
[7] [7] That's because we're sharecroppers.
[7] 那是因為我們是佃農。
A white businessman named Mr. Greenfield owns the land that we live on, and we pay rent by giving him a large percentage of our crop.
一位名叫格林菲爾德先生的白人商人擁有我們居住的土地,我們透過將收成的大部分給他來支付租金。
加載單字中...
[8] [8] Mr. Greenfield also runs a store in town where we get everything we need for the farm, like seeds, fertilizer, and tools.
[8] 格林菲爾德先生也在鎮上經營一家商店,我們在那裡購買農場所需的一切,如種子、肥料和工具。
We also owe him for that, and it's hard to grow enough cotton to pay for everything.
我們也因此欠他錢,而且很難種出足夠的棉花來支付所有費用。
I once heard Mama whisper to Daddy, "We can never get out from under this debt if he piles on more and more each year."
我曾聽媽媽低聲對爸爸說:「如果他每年都不斷增加債務,我們永遠也翻不了身。」
I'm crossing my fingers that we have a good crop this year.
我祈禱我們今年能有好收成。
加載單字中...
MAY 18
5月18日
[9] [9] I got soaking wet walking home from school today.
[9] 我今天放學走路回家時渾身濕透了。
I was with my best friend Eve when it started to rain.
開始下雨時,我正和我最好的朋友伊芙在一起。
At first, it was just a few drops, but then buckets of rain began to fall from the sky.
起初只是幾滴雨,但隨後傾盆大雨從天而降。
Eve and I broke into a run to get home as fast as we could.
伊芙和我拔腿狂奔,以最快的速度回家。
加載單字中...
[10] [10] But my school is far away, and it's a long walk there and back.
[10] 但我的學校很遠,來回要走很長的路。
There's another school that's much closer; it's only half a mile from home.
有另一所學校要近得多;它離家只有半英里。
But Eve and I are not allowed to go there.
但伊芙和我不被允許去那裡。
Only white children can attend that school.
只有白人孩子能上那所學校。
We go to a school for Negro children that's another mile and a half away from where we both live.
我們去一所為黑人孩子設立的學校,那所學校離我們倆住的地方還要再遠一英里半。
加載單字中...
[11] [11] The school for white children is not only closer, it's also nicer.
[11] 為白人孩子設立的學校不僅更近,而且也更好。
It doesn't have a hole in the roof like my school does.
它的屋頂不像我的學校那樣有破洞。
Each student has his or her own books, too.
每個學生也有自己的課本。
At my school, we have to share, and Eve and I sit together so we can pass a set of math, science, reading, and history books back and forth or read over each other's shoulders.
在我的學校,我們必須共用課本,伊芙和我坐在一起,這樣我們就可以傳遞一套數學、科學、閱讀和歷史課本,或者從對方肩膀後方看書。
加載單字中...
[12] [12] That's how the world works here in Mississippi.
[12] 這就是密西西比這裡的運作方式。
We live with segregation, which is a system that's set up to keep white people apart from black people.
我們生活在種族隔離之下,這是一個為了將白人與黑人分開而建立的制度。
There are separate schools, separate bathrooms, even separate water fountains.
有隔離的學校、隔離的洗手間,甚至還有隔離的飲水機。
At the movies or restaurants, black people have to sit in a separate section.
在電影院或餐廳,黑人必須坐在隔離的區域。
There are some places that we're not allowed to go into at all, like certain hotels or libraries.
有些地方我們根本不被允許進入,例如某些旅館或圖書館。
加載單字中...
[13] [13] It's like that all over the South because of a set of laws that people call "Jim Crow."
[13] 在整個南方都是如此,因為有一套人們稱之為「吉姆·克勞」的法律。
Mama says that Jim Crow is a way to keep black people from having the same opportunities that white people do.
媽媽說,吉姆·克勞法是一種阻止黑人擁有與白人相同機會的手段。
I wish that we didn't have to live this way.
我真希望我們不必這樣生活。
I only want to have the same rights as other kids!
我只想擁有和其他孩子一樣的權利!
加載單字中...
JUN 22
6月22日
[14] [14] Mr. Greenfield stopped by the farm today to see how this year's crop is coming along.
[14] 格林菲爾德先生今天來農場看了一下今年的作物生長情況。
He gave Daddy a bill for everything that we owe so far this season.
他給了爸爸一張帳單,列出了我們這個季節到目前為止所欠的一切。
It was added to the money that we still owe from last year.
這筆錢被加到了我們去年仍欠的債務上。
Even though we had a good crop last year, it was not enough to cover the entire debt.
儘管去年收成很好,但仍不足以償還全部債務。
加載單字中...
[15] [15] Mr. Greenfield makes me nervous.
[15] 格林菲爾德先生讓我很緊張。
He frowns a lot and is disrespectful to us.
他經常皺著眉頭,而且對我們不尊重。
He talks to Mama and Daddy like they are children.
他對媽媽和爸爸說話的樣子,就像他們是小孩一樣。
I saw Daddy's jaw tighten as Mr. Greenfield said, "You better pay off all your bills this year, boy.
我看到當格林菲爾德先生說:「小子,你今年最好還清所有帳單。」時,爸爸的下巴繃緊了。
I won't stand for any laziness on one of my farms."
我不會容忍在我的任何一個農場上有懶惰的行為。」
加載單字中...
[16] [16] It's not right for Mr. Greenfield to say such things.
[16] 格林菲爾德先生說這種話是不對的。
He knows we work hard and are not the least bit lazy.
他知道我們工作努力,一點也不懶惰。
He also knows that my siblings and I miss school to take care of the farm, while his son and daughter get to go to school every day.
他也知道我的兄弟姐妹和我為了照顧農場而缺課,而他的兒子和女兒卻能每天去上學。
加載單字中...
[17] [17] I could tell Daddy was trying not to answer angrily because men like Mr. Greenfield sometimes hurt Negroes for "talking back."
[17] 我看得出來爸爸試著不生氣地回答,因為像格林菲爾德先生那樣的人有時會因為黑人「頂嘴」而傷害他們。
Last year, a black man in our town was beaten for accidentally bumping into a white man in the street.
去年,我們鎮上有一個黑人因為在街上不小心撞到一個白人而被毆打。
The South can be a very, very hard place for black people to live.
南方對黑人來說,可能是一個非常、非常難生活的地方。
加載單字中...
[18] [18] As I was washing the dishes after dinner, Daddy sat at the kitchen table going over our bills.
[18] 當我晚飯後洗碗時,爸爸坐在廚房餐桌旁仔細查看我們的帳單。
I know he wishes he could find a job other than being a sharecropper.
我知道他希望他能找到一份除了做佃農以外的工作。
People who work in stores and factories in our area can make good money, but those places refuse to hire Negro workers.
在我們地區商店和工廠工作的人能賺很多錢,但那些地方拒絕雇用黑人工人。
It's another part of the discrimination that we face.
這是我們面臨的歧視的另一部分。
So, many black people are stuck working on small farms and facing a mountain of debt.
所以,許多黑人被迫在小農場工作,面對堆積如山的債務。
"Everything depends on this new crop," I heard Daddy mutter to himself.
「一切都指望這批新作物了。」我聽到爸爸自言自語地低語。
"It's the only thing that will save us."
「這是唯一能拯救我們的東西。」
加載單字中...
SEP 22
9月22日
[19] [19] Today, we got a letter from Mama's brother, Uncle Eugene.
[19] 今天,我們收到了媽媽的兄弟尤金叔叔的來信。
He used to be a sharecropper like us, but he left Mississippi not long ago when the bills got too high.
他以前和我們一樣是佃農,但不久前當債務變得太高時,他離開了密西西比州。
At the beginning of the year, he took a train all the way out west and moved to a city called Los Angeles in California.
今年年初,他坐火車一路向西,搬到了加利福尼亞州一個叫洛杉磯的城市。
I couldn't imagine traveling so far away, or leaving my friends and family behind, but Uncle Eugene felt he had no other choice.
我無法想像離家這麼遠,或者離開我的朋友和家人,但尤金叔叔覺得他別無選擇。
加載單字中...
[20] [20] In his letter, he told us that he found a job at a factory that builds airplanes.
[20] 在信中,他告訴我們他在一家製造飛機的工廠找到了工作。
The planes will help carry supplies and soldiers for the war effort.
這些飛機將有助於為戰爭運送補給和士兵。
He says that the factories need a lot of workers, so women and Negroes have the chance to get good jobs.
他說工廠需要大量工人,所以女性和黑人都有機會找到好工作。
加載單字中...
[21] [21] "Wow, they hire Negroes to work in factories there?" I asked.
[21] 「哇,他們在那裡雇用黑人在工廠工作?」我問。
加載單字中...
[22] [22] "California sure sounds different from Mississippi!" Buck said, and we all chuckled.
[22] 「加州聽起來肯定和密西西比不一樣!」巴克說,我們都笑了。
加載單字中...
SEP 28
9月28日
[23] [23] Today in school, we talked about people like my Uncle Eugene.
[23] 今天在學校,我們談到了像我尤金叔叔這樣的人。
I learned that many, many Negroes have been leaving the South for years now.
我了解到,多年來有非常多、非常多的黑人一直在離開南方。
They leave to find better jobs, get a better education, and escape segregation.
他們離開是為了尋找更好的工作、獲得更好的教育,並逃離種族隔離。
In the past, they traveled to New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, and other cities in the North to find work.
過去,他們前往紐約、費城、芝加哥、底特律和北方其他城市找工作。
Today, a lot of people are heading out west to places like Los Angeles.
如今,很多人正前往西部,像洛杉磯這樣的地方。
This kind of movement of people from one place to another is called a "migration."
這種人們從一個地方到另一個地方的移動被稱為「遷徙」。
加載單字中...